Currently, I study emergent communication with the general aim to infuse language learning with causality.
PhD, 2018+ - Natural Language Understanding
I am pursuing my PhD at Brown University (2018) working with Professor Pavlick.
MS, 2017-18 - Natural Language Understanding
Working with my master thesis advisor Professor Whitehill we developed machine learning models to find (extract) evidence for claims made in academic papers.
UG, 2016-18 - Time Series Analysis
As part of a research group at WPI, we developed a series of theoretical frameworks for time series analysis and search. We further implemented efficient systems demonstrating these concepts. The focus of our team's research was to leverage a conditional triangle inequality between dynamic time warping and euclidean distance to build a highly accurate and fast system for searching through time series data sets. More information can be found in our website.
Summer 2018 - Software Engineering Intern
- Constructing map reduce pipelines for data analysis to improve ads targeting.
- Designed and implemented clustering approach for improving ads targeting.
Fall 2017 - Research Intern
- Disambiguating statement structured as fact from those structured as opinion.
- Built a ranking system to show semantically similar statements to a query.
Summer 2017 - Software Engineering Intern
- Improved advertisement platform DoubleClick’s recommendation system by implementing feature to automatically name customer entities.
- Used Java and Dart, built comprehensive tests and a configurable design.
Summer 2016 - Software Engineering Intern
- Built a fuzz-testing engine to test the security of the Thread protocol stack using Java.
- Developed internal plugin to test cache-performance of a micro-chip using C.
Summer 2015 - Software Engineering Intern
- Developed deployment scripts.
- Improved automatic test framework.
- Charles Lovering, Anqi Lu, Cuong Nguyen, Huyen Nguyen, David Hurley, Emmanuel Agu. Fact or Fiction: ACM CSCW 2018.
- Rodica Neamtu, Ramoza Ahsan, Elke Rundensteiner, Gabor Sarkozy, Eamonn Keogh, Cuong Nguyen, Charles Lovering: Generalized Dynamic Time Warping. IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE) 2018.
- Neamtu, R., Ahsan, R., Lovering, C., Nguyen, C., Rundensteiner, E., & Sarkozy, G. (2017, May). Interactive Time Series Analytics Powered by ONEX. In Proceedings of the 2017 ACM International Conference on Management of Data (pp. 1595-1598). ACM.
- Nguyen, C., Lovering, C., & Neamtu, R. Ranked Time Series Matching by Interleaving Similarity Distances. 4th Workshop on Advances in Software and Hardware for Big Data to Knowledge Discovery 2017. IEEE Big Data 2017.
- Harnessing the Power of Multi-Warped Distances for Fast and Efficient Similarity Exploration. Rodica Neamtu, Ramoza Ahsan, Cuong Nguyen, Charles Lovering, Elke A. Rundensteiner, Gabor Sarkozy. ICDE.
- Charles Lovering, Jake Whitehill. Why did they cite that? New England Machine Learning Day (NEML) 2018.
- Cuong Nguyen, Charles Lovering. Ranked Time Series Matching by Interleaving Similarity Distances. New England Database Day (NEDB) 2018. MIT.
- Charles Lovering, Cuong Nguyen. INSIGHT. Interactive Time Series Analytics System. MIT IEEE Undergraduate Conference for Research 2016. Abstract and Poster.